This humble-looking side dish is rich in flavor, thanks to duck fat.
- Servings: 10
Photography: EARL CARTER
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2005
- 6 tablespoons duck fat or chicken fat (or vegetable shortening)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3 1/2 cups matzo farfel
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt fat in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook 8 minutes. Let cool. Whisk together eggs, broth, 1 1/4 cups hot water, spices, and salt. Stir in farfel and onion mixture. Spoon into 10 (1/2-cup) ramekins. Bake until set, 30 to 35 minutes.