Carrot Pickle with Indian Spices
Batons of yellow and orange carrots are pickled with an Indian-inspired spice mixture for a multihued, fiery condiment.
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2005
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon urad dal (skinned and split dried black lentils)
- 2 small dried red chiles (1 whole, 1 crumbled)
- 5 to 6 fresh curry leaves
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Coarse salt
- 10 mixed orange and yellow carrots, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/4-inch sticks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons packed light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 strips (2 inches long each) lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add black mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, and urad dal. When seeds pop, add chiles and curry leaves. Cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add onion, ginger, and garlic; cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Add carrots; cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately plunge into an ice-water bath. Drain, and pat dry.
Toss together carrots, onion mixture, sugar, vinegar, zest, coriander, chili powder, mustard, cumin, and 1 tablespoon salt. Transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate at least 3 days. Carrots can be refrigerated up to 1 month.