Glazed Carrots with Whole Spices and Rosemary
Colorful carrots, glazed in brown sugar, honey vinegar, and spices, are roasted until the sugar just caramelizes.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2005
- 2 pounds thin, tender carrots in assorted colors, with greens (or regular carrots, halved lengthwise)
- Coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon whole pink peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more (optional) for drizzling
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 whole star anise
Peel and trim carrots, leaving 1 1/2 inches of greens intact. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt. Add carrots; cook until bright and just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately plunge into an ice-water bath. Drain.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together sugar, vinegar, honey, and peppercorns.
Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, rosemary, and star anise; cook, stirring, until carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in honey mixture. Season with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, turning carrots to coat.
Transfer skillet to oven. Roast carrots until slightly caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes. Drizzle with oil, if desired.