Tangy Chocolate Frosting
Use this to frost our Six-Layer Chocolate Cake.
- Yield: Makes 10 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2005
- 4 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces cream cheese (1 1/2 packages), room temperature
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate (preferably 70 percent cacao), melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups creme fraiche (12 ounces)
Sift sugar, cocoa, and salt together into a bowl; set aside. Put cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in sugar mixture. Pour in melted chocolate in a slow, steady stream. Gradually mix in creme fraiche.