Tomato Sauce for Pappardelle with Lobster
This classic tomato sauce suits any pasta, including our Pappardelle with Lobster, Spicy Tomato Sauce, and Mint.
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2005
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes, including juice, crushed
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, coarsely torn
- 1 small dried red chile, crumbled
- Coarse salt
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, chile, and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 30 minutes.