Use this to make our Ginger-Pear Hand Pies.
- Yield: Makes enough for 8 hand pies
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2005
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and shortening; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, 8 to 10 times.
With processor running, pour in vinegar, then 1/4 cup ice water; process just until dough comes together. (If dough is still crumbly, add up to 1/4 more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
Pat dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate dough until cold, at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.