Almond Shortcrust Pastry
This nutty shortcrust pastry becomes the perfect base for our favorite Blueberry Jam Tartlets.
- Yield: Makes enough for 12 tartlets
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2006
- 1/3 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water
Finely grind almonds in a food processor. Add flour, sugar, and salt; pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add yolk and 1 tablespoon ice water; pulse until dough just comes together, adding up to 1 tablespoon more water if needed.
Shape pastry into a disk, and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes (up to 3 days) before rolling.