Japanese Salmon Ramen with Chile-Ginger Dressing and Wheat Noodles
In this Japanese dish known as ramen, the taste of wheat noodles is woven together with that of seared teriyaki salmon, scallions, tatsoi, sesame, and mild broth.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2006
For the salmon:
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet, skinned
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 5 tablespoons store-bought teriyaki marinade
- Vegetable oil, for rubbing
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons black or red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- 6 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 piece (2 inches) peeled fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 pound thin wheat noodles or soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon instant dashi stock powder
- 3 scallions, white parts cut into 1-inch pieces, green parts thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups tatsoi or baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Season salmon with salt and pepper. Transfer to a resealable bag. Add teriyaki marinade; gently toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (up to 4 hours).
Make the dressing: Whisk together vinegar, chili sauce, fish sauce, and ginger in a small bowl; set aside.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles, and cook according to package instructions, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
Remove salmon from marinade, and rub with oil; reserve marinade. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add salmon; cook, flipping once, until dark brown, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Add about half of the reserved marinade during last minute of cooking, and flip salmon to coat. Transfer to a plate. Let stand 5 minutes. Flake into large chunks.
Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in dashi powder and white part of scallion. Reduce to a simmer, and cook 3 minutes. Set aside.
To serve, divide noodles among 6 serving bowls; ladle some dashi broth over noodles. Divide salmon and tatsoi among bowls. Drizzle with dressing; sprinkle with sesame seeds and green part of scallions. Serve immediately.