Green tomatoes are simply red tomatoes that have not ripened fully. If you are unable to find green tomatoes, you can use Kirby cucumbers.
- Yield: Makes about 6 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2006
- 2 pounds green tomatoes (about 6 small), cut into 1 1/4-inch wedges or 2 pounds Kirby cucumbers, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 lemon, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices
Toss tomatoes and onion with the salt in a colander set over a bowl. Refrigerate 3 hours. Rinse well, and drain.
Stir together vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, coriander seeds, celery seed, turmeric, bay leaf, and lemon slices in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stir in tomatoes and onion. Return to a boil. Remove from heat. Let stand until cool, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate in airtight containers overnight or up to 1 month.