Mustard Greens and Peas
The classic Southern side dish of tender mustard greens is updated with a burst of bright green peas.
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2006
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion (about 5 ounces), thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 bunches mustard greens (about 2 pounds), trimmed and cut crosswise into 2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 ounces partially thawed frozen or fresh shelled peas (1 3/4 cups)
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in greens and stock; season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are wilted but not completely cooked, about 8 minutes.
Stir in peas. (If you are using fresh peas, cook them 2 minutes in salted boiling water before adding to greens.) Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender and bright green, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish with a slotted spoon. Serve immediately.