Tomatillo Salsa for Tortilla Casserole
Make this for our Tortilla Casserole (Budin Azteca).
- Yield: Makes about 5 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2006
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 1/4 pounds tomatillos, husked and washed
- 1 fresh serrano chile, stemmed and seeded for less heat if desired
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Stir in tomatillos, 1 cup water, and the chile. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatillos have softened, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Let cool slightly.
Working in batches, puree tomatillo mixture in a food processor with reserved cooking liquid. Add cilantro and salt; pulse to combine.