Shrimp, Cucumber, and Mango Escabeche
Marinating poached shrimp in lime juice infuses the seafood with a zesty citrus flavor. Sweet mango, spicy jalapeno, and sharp cilantro add even more zing.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Raymond Hom
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2010
- 1 pound large shrimp (about 30), shell-on
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 12 limes)
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 2/3 cup chopped mango
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno chile, stem and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; poach shrimp until just cooked through, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to ice-water bath; let cool.
Drain shrimp, and peel; devein, and slice each in half. Toss shrimp with 1/2 cup lime juice in a nonreactive dish. Refrigerate, covered, stirring halfway through, for at least 2 hours. Drain.
Toss together shrimp, cucumber, mango, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Stir in remaining tablespoon lime juice before serving.