Cinnamon Spritz Cookies
Delicate yet buttery rich, these spritzes are lavished with an immoderate amount of vanilla and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.
- Yield: Makes about 5 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2007
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 vanilla beans, halved lengthwise
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 sticks (12 ounces) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon mixed with 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, salt, and cinnamon.
Using the tip of a paring knife, scrape vanilla seeds into a large bowl, and discard pods. Add sugar, and beat with a mixer on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add butter, and beat until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined.
Attach a wreath disk to a cookie press. Divide dough into 3 portions. Fill press with dough. Press cookies onto baking sheets, spacing them 2 inches apart.
Bake until barely golden, 9 to 12 minutes. Immediately sprinkle cookies with cinnamon sugar. Let cool slightly, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.