Savory Fall Stew with Sausage
Warm up a chilly evening with this hearty dish.
- Servings: 4
Photography: ANN STRATTON
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2007
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces hot Italian sausage, cut into small chunks
- 12 cipollini or pearl onions, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium canned chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 1 handful of herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, or oregano
- 1 large (2 pounds) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 parsnips, cut into 2-inch-long sticks
- 1 fennel bulb, halved, cored, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 12 brussels sprouts, trimmed, cut in half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook sausage, stirring until it breaks into small pieces and is no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the rendered fat, and discard. Raise heat to medium high, and add the onions; cook, stirring, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, stock, and herbs; simmer over medium heat until the liquid starts to thicken, about 20 minutes. Add the sausage, squash, carrots, parsnips, and fennel; cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add brussels sprouts; cook, covered, about 5 minutes more. Uncover; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid thickens, 10 to 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper; serve hot.