Spiced Quince in Syrup
This dessert is the perfect way to showcase fall fruit.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2007
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 quinces (about 1 pound total), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Sauternes
- 2 green cardamom pods, gently cracked
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece (1 inch) peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1 cup water
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. add quinces and sugar, and stir to coat. Stir in remaining ingredients, and cover with parchment cut to fit pan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently until tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Spoon quinces and syrup into bowls.