Chicken Soup with Brown Rice-Millet Noodles
Made from brown rice and a small amount of whole-grain millet (a protein-rich grain), these spirals are suitable for a gluten-free diet. The nurturing soup benefits from the sweetness of parsnips and carrots and the aroma of cloves.
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2007
- 6 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus 3 tablespoons very finely chopped leaves for sprinkling
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 whole chicken (4 1/4 pounds), skin and fat removed, quartered
- 1 medium onion (about 6 ounces), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 5 celery stalks (about 12 ounces), cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 7 1/4 cups homemade or low-sodium, gluten-free store-bought chicken stock
- 2 medium parsnips (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 medium carrots (about 8 ounces), peeled, cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 8.8 ounces brown rice–millet rotini
- 1 scallion, white and pale-green parts only, very thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- Freshly ground pepper
Make a bouquet garni: Put the parsley sprigs, bay leaves, cloves, and peppercorns on a piece of cheesecloth; tie into a bundle with kitchen twine.
Put bouquet garni, chicken, onion, celery, garlic, and stock into a large stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a large bowl; let cool slightly. Remove meat from bones, and cut into small pieces; set aside.
Add parsnips to pot, and cook until slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in 5 cups water and the salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in carrots, pasta, and reserved chicken. Cook until carrots are tender and pasta is al dente, 7 to 10 minutes. Discard bouquet garni. Ladle soup into 6 bowls, dividing evenly. Sprinkle each with chopped parsley and scallion, dividing evenly; season with pepper.