Basic Vinaigrette for Green Salads
This is a good vinaigrette for a simple green salad. Use extra-virgin olive oil if you prefer a fruitier flavor.
- Yield: Makes 2/3 cup
Photography: Charles Schiller
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2001
- 2 tablespoons good-quality white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 6 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
Combine the vinegar, mustard, shallot, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Allow the ingredients to macerate for 10 minutes.
While whisking, slowly add the olive oil until the mixture is emulsified. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.