Pineapple Salsa for Lamb Burgers
Use this salsa to top our Mini Lamb Burgers. If you have leftover salsa, try it with pork.
- Yield: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
- 2 pasilla chiles or ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium pineapple, peeled, quartered lengthwise, cored, and cut into 1/3-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow ballpark mustard
- 1 to 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
Toast pasilla chiles in a dry small skillet over medium-high heat, turning often, until skins begin to blister, about 3 minutes.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add toasted chiles, the pineapple, sugar, vinegar, mustard, and chipotle chiles to saucepan. Cover; simmer until pineapple is translucent, about 15 minutes. Discard pasilla chiles. Refrigerate salsa until cold, about 1 hour, before serving.