Spicy Green Rice
The rice gets its color from chopped cilantro and poblano chiles.
- Servings: 8
Photography: Victoria Pearson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2002
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 white onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups homemade or low-sodium canned chicken or vegetable stock, or water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook until it is soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add rice, and stir to coat. Add stock, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
Turn off heat; let stand, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; stir in cilantro and poblano. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.