Couscous Crunch Bar
When toasted and mixed into melted chocolate, couscous creates a surprising, satisfying candy.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 to 36, depending on cookie-cutter size
Photography: Aaron Dyer
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2016
- 6 tablespoons Israeli (pearl) couscous
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Flaky sea salt, such as Maldon
- 8 ounces melted bittersweet chocolate (61 percent cacao)
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
In a skillet over medium-high, toast couscous in butter, stirring constantly, until golden, 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with salt; let cool.
Stir couscous into melted chocolate. Lightly coat 1 1/2-to-4 1/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutters with cooking spray.
Place cutters on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Fill with chocolate. Refrigerate until set, at least 30 minutes. Gently press chocolates out of cutters. Enjoy immediately, or store in refrigerator, covered, up to 3 days.