Coconut-Curry Fish With Sweet Potatoes and Eggplant
Coconut milk and green curry paste flavor a quick stew of cod, eggplant, and sweet potatoes.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: GEORGE BARBERIS
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2016
- 1 can (13.5 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 3/4 pound eggplant, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 small sweet potatoes (12 ounces total), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig basil, plus leaves for serving
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless cod, bass, or halibut fillet, cut into 4 pieces
- Steamed rice, sliced Thai chiles, and lime wedges, for serving
Stir together coconut milk, curry paste, and eggplant in a large straight-sided skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes and basil sprig; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring a few times, until potatoes are almost tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
Generously season fish with salt and nestle into skillet until partially submerged. Cook, partially covered, gently shaking skillet a few times, until just cooked through, 7 to 9 minutes. Remove basil sprig. Serve with rice, topped with basil leaves, chiles, and lime wedges.