Braised Chicken With Artichokes, Olives, and Lemon
The flavors of the Mediterranean spruce up this homey, braised chicken dish served over a bed of orzo.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: GEORGE BARBERIS
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2016
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 pounds), cut into 8 pieces and patted dry
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled and lightly smashed
- 9 ounces frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and halved
- 6 ounces green olives, such as Castelvetrano (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, plus leaves for serving
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small lemon, sliced into paper-thin rounds
- Cooked orzo, for serving
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high. Add oil, then chicken, skin-side down, in a single layer. Cook, turning, until browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and artichokes; cook until golden brown in places, 5 to 7 minutes. Add olives, oregano, and flour; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Stir in broth and lemon, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Return chicken, skinside up, and any juices to pan; bring to a simmer. Partially cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of chicken (without touching bone) registers 165 degrees, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove lid; continue simmering until sauce thickens slightly. Serve over orzo, sprinkled with oregano leaves.