Chocolate Frosting for Chocolate-Raspberry Cake
Cream cheese and creme fraiche give this chocolate frosting its nuanced flavor.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 cups
Photography: Con Poulos
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2016
- 2 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate (61 percent cacao), melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
Sift together sugar, cocoa, and salt. Beat cream cheese with butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Reduce speed to medium-low; gradually add cocoa mixture and beat until combined. Pour in chocolate in a slow, steady stream. Add creme fraiche; beat until combined. Frosting can be stored in refrigerator up to 5 days; bring to room temperature and beat before using.