Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
Cornmeal drop biscuits are quick to make, since the dough can be dropped onto a baking sheet without rolling or cutting.
- Yield: Makes 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2001
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk to combine. Add the butter, and, using a pastry blender or two knives, cut it in until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add milk, and stir until just combined.
Spoon 10 mounds, about 1/2 cup each, onto baking sheet 1 inch apart; bake until biscuits start to brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack. Serve warm.