Dosas are a specialty of southern India. Our spicy rava dosa, made with semolina and yogurt, is unfilled and served with sweet, piquant coconut chutney and steaming chai tea.
- Yield: Makes 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2005
- 2 cups semolina flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small fresh red chile and 1 small fresh green chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Coconut Chutney
Stir together flour, yogurt, chiles, ginger, curry leaves (if desired), cilantro, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Stir in 2 to 2 1/2 cups warm water until batter has consistency of heavy cream. Cover; let stand 1 hour.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium- high heat. Oil surface. Pour in about 1 cup batter, swirling to cover bottom of pan. Cook, flipping once, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side; season with salt. Repeat with remaining batter. Fold into thirds lengthwise; transfer to serving plates. Serve with chutney.