Basic Buttercream for Pistachio Layer Cake
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes about 3 1/2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2016
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar (3 1/2 cups), sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Gel food coloring, such as AmeriColor, in Leaf Green, Electric Green, and Mint Green (1 to 2 drops each)
Beat butter on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition, until combined, 1 to 2 minutes total. (After every 2 additions, increase speed to high and beat for 10 seconds, then reduce speed to medium.) Beat in vanilla until smooth.
Add food coloring, a little at a time, to achieve desired color. Use immediately, or store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 3 days. To use, bring to room temperature and beat on low speed until smooth.