Grilled Tofu with Chimichurri on Grilled Bread
Beef, chicken, or fish may be used in place of the tofu; brush bread with oil.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 2009
- 15 ounces firm tofu
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
For the chimichurri
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
for the salad
- 1 firm, ripe Hass avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium English cucumber (7 ounces), sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Squeeze of lemon, for serving
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Press tofu dry with a paper towel. Cut into 4 pieces. Press dry again.
Make the chimichurri: Combine all ingredients in a bowl; reserve 1/2 cup. Marinate tofu in remaining chimichurri, basting occasionally, for 1 hour.
Make the salad: Combine avocado and cucumber. Sprinkle with salt, and season with pepper. Squeeze lemon over salad, and drizzle with oil.
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium. Lightly brush bread on both sides with chimichurri marinade. Grill until crisp, about 2 minutes per side. Grill tofu until lightly charred, about 4 minutes per side. Serve on bread with reserved chimichurri. Serve salad on the side.