Sun-Dried-Tomato Relish With Cayenne Toasts
Classic Mediterranean flavors are captured atop these piquant toasts. This recipe is adapted from Jennifer Trainer Thompson's "Jump Up and Kiss Me" (Ten Speed; 1996).
- Total Time:
- Servings: 10
Photography: Petrina Tinslay
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August 2010
For the Relish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (from two 10-ounce jars), drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 4 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Toasts
- 1 baguette, cut on the bias into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Cayenne pepper, for sprinkling
- 8 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
Make the relish: Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook onion until translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir in garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl, and stir in sun-dried tomatoes, walnuts, basil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Make the toasts: Heat grill or broiler to medium-high. Brush bread with oil, and sprinkle with cayenne. Grill until golden brown and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Serve toasts with relish and goat cheese.