Chilled Avgolemono Soup
This lemony Greek hot-soup classic becomes a cool summer refresher laced with dill and minus the eggs.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2010
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup long-grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 3 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add rice, and stir to coat. Add stock and water; bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Prepare an ice-water bath. Working in 2 batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth. (For safety, remove cap from hole in lid, and cover with a dish towel to prevent spattering.) Transfer mixture to a bowl set in ice bath; let stand for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice, dill, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; season with pepper.