Smashed Chickpea, Basil, and Radish Dip with Pita Chips
An inventive take on hummus, this chunky bean dip gets flavor and texture from garlic and radishes.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
- Yield: Makes 3 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2010
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) unsalted chickpeas, drained and rinsed (reserve 1/3 cup liquid)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 8 radishes, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 to 3 lemons)
- 9 whole-wheat pitas, split, quartered, and toasted
Lightly mash chickpeas, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl until creamy but still chunky. Stir in basil, radishes, garlic, and lemon juice. Stir in reserved chickpea liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dip holds together. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve with pita chips.