Pink Applesauce for Latkes
The most coveted dish at any Hanukkah celebration is one piled high with sizzling latkes. Specially prepared for the Jewish holiday, the potato pancakes are panfried in oil until golden, then served with side dishes like this pink applesauce.
- Yield: Makes about 1 quart
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2002
- 9 red-skin apples (about 3 pounds), such as McIntosh, cored and quartered
- 1/2 cup apple cider, plus more as needed
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, plus more as needed
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
In a wide, heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine all ingredients. Cook, stirring frequently and adding more cider as needed to prevent scorching, until apples are broken down, 50 to 60 minutes. Mash large pieces with spoon; add more sugar and spices, as desired.
Remove from heat; discard cinnamon stick. Serve warm or at room temperature with latkes. Refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days.