Sweet-and-Sour Red Cabbage with Raisins and Pistachios
Golden raisins and pistachios add pops of sweetness and heft to this brilliantly hued side.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January 2015
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (4 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
Heat a large skillet over medium. Swirl in oil. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in cabbage; season with salt. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 7 minutes.
Increase heat to high. Add vinegar and raisins; cook, stirring, until most of liquid has evaporated and raisins are plump, about 2 minutes. Stir in nuts and season with pepper; serve.