Apples add sweetness to this creamy, nutrient-rich puree.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January December/January 2015
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for serving
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 apples, such as Gala, peeled, cored, and sliced (3 cups)
- 3 pounds rutabagas, peeled and chopped (8 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Coarse salt
Melt butter in a large straight-sided skillet over medium. Add onion, ginger, and apples; cook, stirring frequently, until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
Stir in rutabagas, broth, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring once halfway through, until rutabagas are tender, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. Serve immediately, topped with butter.