Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2005
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Madeira wine
- 1 cup homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook onions, stirring, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Cover; cook over low heat until brown, about 25 minutes.
Add flour. Cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in wine, stock, and Worcestershire. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until thick, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.