Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2005
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 to 2 small fresh green chiles, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal (skinned and split dried black lentils; optional)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Process coconut, chiles, ginger, garlic, and salt in a food processor or blender, gradually adding 1/2 to 3/4 cup water until a thick paste forms.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seeds; cover. Cook until seeds pop, 30 to 45 seconds. Add shallot and urad dal (if desired); cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir together shallot mixture, coconut mixture, yogurt, cilantro, and lime juice.