Sweet-and-Tart Pickled Vegetables
You can make this recipe with a mix of fennel and carrots, or with green beans; we made one batch of each.
- Yield: Makes about 5 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2006
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 small bulbs fennel, cut into 3/4-inch wedges, and 6 small carrots, peeled and cut into 3-by-1/2-inch matchsticks (or substitute 1 1/4 pounds trimmed green beans for the fennel and carrots)
Stir together vinegar, sugar, salt, coriander, fennel, and bay leaves in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Stir in green beans or fennel and carrots. Remove from heat; let cool completely. Cover, and refrigerate at least overnight or up to 1 week.