Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2005
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 strips cooked bacon, coarsely crumbled
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, finely grated (about 2/3 cup)
Melt butter with oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until edges of onions turn golden, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until onion is softened and just golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Transfer onion mixture to a medium bowl. Let cool completely. Stir in bacon and cheese.