Raita, a cooling yogurt-based condiment traditional to Indian cuisine, offsets the heat of spicy main dishes. This version takes on the sweetness of carrots.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 1999
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 5 large) carrots, cut into 1-inch matchsticks to yield 5 cups, plus 1 small carrot, cut into long, thin strips for garnish
- 1 quart plain whole-milk yogurt
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black or brown whole cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, torn into medium pieces, plus more leaves for garnish
Combine 5 cups carrots, yogurt, and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Heat the oil in a very small skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the cumin and fennel seeds, and let fry until they pop, about 5 seconds. Immediately pour the oil and the seeds over the carrot mixture. Stir to combine.
Salt to taste; add mint. Toss. Garnish with mint leaves and carrot strips, and serve.