Wild-Rice and Lima-Bean Salad with Cranberry Relish
Three great natives of the Americas -- wild rice, lima beans, and cranberries -- meet in this hearty, protein-rich salad.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
Photography: Martyn Thompson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2015
- 1 pound fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest, plus 1/2 cup fresh juice (from 2 oranges)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 ounces fresh or thawed frozen lima beans (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups wild-rice blend
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
Pulse cranberries, orange zest and juice, 1/2 cup mint, sugar, and 2 teaspoons salt in a food processor just until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl. (Relish can be refrigerated, covered, up to 1 day.)
Cook lima beans in a pot of generously salted boiling water until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to an ice-water bath; let cool completely, then drain. Meanwhile, return pot of water to a boil and stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until tender, 35 to 40 minutes; drain. Spread rice on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet; let cool completely.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add lima beans; season with salt and pepper. Cook, gently stirring occasionally, until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Transfer lima-bean mixture to a large bowl. Stir in rice, 1/3 cup relish, vinegar, parsley, and remaining 2 tablespoons each mint and oil. Generously season with salt and pepper; serve.