Dust the tops with powdered sugar.
- Yield: Makes 36
Source: Holiday Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange-flower water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
Butter and flour madeleine molds thoroughly. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Melt butter and let cool.
Beat together eggs, salt, and sugar until very light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and orange-flower water. Fold in flour, then the melted butter and orange zest.
Pour batter into molds almost to the top. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cakes are firm in the center. Let cool for 1 minute in molds, then turn out onto racks.