Sweet Breakfast Bowl
This hearty breakfast bowl is a dream to wake up to. Barley takes longer than oatmeal to cook (about an hour and a half), so make a big batch on Sunday for quick reheating during the week.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 2015
- 2 cups Cooked Hulled Barley, such as Hayden Flour Mills Purple-and-Bronze
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- Coarse salt
- 1 banana, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
Bring barley, almond milk, sweet potato, maple syrup, and a pinch of salt to just under a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce to a simmer and cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until sweet potato is tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Divide evenly among bowls, top with banana and nuts, and drizzle with more maple syrup; serve.