Shaped Icebox Cookies
Try one of our shaped icebox-cookie variations: Almond-Cherry Coins; Apricot-Pistachio Triangles; Almond and Candied Orange Zest Bars; White Chocolate, Hazelnut, and Cherry Triangles; Papaya, Macadamia, and Coconut Triangles; Cranberry-Orange Coins; Chocolate, Walnut, and Cranberry Coins; Candied-Fruit Squares; Almond and Ginger Bars.
- Yield: Makes about 10 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
Mix-Ins (Choose One Combination)
- 3/4 cup each chopped toasted blanched almonds and dried cherries
- 3/4 cup each chopped dried apricots and pistachios
- 1 cup chopped toasted blanched almonds plus 1/2 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 1/2 cup each chopped white chocolate, toasted hazelnuts, and dried cherries
- 1/2 cup each chopped dried papaya, macadamia nuts, and shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 cup chopped dried cranberries plus 1/2 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 1/2 cup each chopped semisweet chocolate, toasted walnuts, and dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup each chopped candied citron and glaceed cherries
- 1 cup chopped toasted blanched almonds plus 1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
- 1/2 cup sanding sugar or 1 1/2 cups ground toasted walnuts
Once the flour is incorporated according to dough recipe, beat in the desired mix-in. Divide dough into 2 pieces. Shape each into a 10-inch log (or a 10-inch-long triangular, rectangular, or square-shaped log). Coat each in ground nuts or sanding sugar, if using. Wrap in parchment. Refrigerate until very firm, about 2 hours.
Slice dough crosswise slightly thicker than 1/8 inch. Reshape if needed. Bake at 350 degrees on parchment-lined baking sheets until firm, 12 to 14 minutes.