Chives, scallions, and tarragon lend this hors d'oeuvres a fresh taste and hint at spring. Use these to make our Blini With Creme Fraiche, Quail Eggs, and Tarragon.
- Yield: Makes 4 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2007
- 1/2 envelope (1 teaspoon) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, heaping
- 1/3 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl; let stand in a warm place until foamy, about 7 minutes.
Stir together flour, chives, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
Stir together yogurt, butter, sugar, and egg yolk in a large bowl; whisk in yeast mixture and then flour mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand in a warm place 30 minutes.
Beat egg white until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Let stand 10 minutes.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat. Drop scant tablespoons batter into skillet, working in batches of 6 or 7. Cook until bubbles form on surface, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, then flip; cook until golden, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes more. Transfer blini to a parchment-lined baking sheet.