Fourth of July Summer Berry Pies
These mini pies are deliciously patriotic when topped with stars and stripes. You can also make one 9-inch pie.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes six 5-inch pies
Photography: Raymond Hom
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2010
- 2 disks Pate Brisee for Summer Berry Pies
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- 7 1/2 cups mixed raspberries and sliced strawberries, or blueberries and blackberries
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
Roll out 1 disk pate brisee to about 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out six 6-inch circles. Press dough into bottoms and up sides of six 5-inch (1 1/4 inches deep) pie plates. Trim excess dough flush with edges of pie plates using a knife, or crimp edges.
Stir together berries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Fill pie shells with berry filling.
Whisk together yolks and cream. Roll out remaining disk of dough to about 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut out stars and stripes using cookie cutters, a knife, or a pastry wheel. Decorate tops of pies with cutouts, brushing bottoms with egg wash to help them adhere. Freeze for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush tops of pies with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
Bake until juices are bubbling and tops are golden brown, 45 to 50 minutes. (Tent with foil if crusts are getting too dark.) Let cool.