Swiss Chard, Mushroom, and Quinoa Salad
Swiss chard abounds in vitamins and minerals, including calcium, iron, and vitamin E. Quinoa has a nutty taste and more protein than most grains.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, January 2010
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Swiss chard, stems and leaves cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 10 1/2 cups), rinsed well, water still clinging to leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan cheese, shaved
Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook Swiss chard, stirring occasionally, until wilted and tender, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and season with pepper. Add red-pepper flakes, and toss. Transfer to a platter.
Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and the garlic to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until garlic is slightly golden, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start to release their juices, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Cook until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in quinoa; cook to heat through, about 1 minute. Add thyme. Serve mushroom-quinoa mixture over Swiss chard, topped with Parmesan.