Spicy-Sausage and Lentil Stew With Escarole Salad
A classic flavor pairing: lentils and greens together with spicy sausage meat make for a hearty stew.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2015
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 12 ounces spicy Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (2 tablespoons)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 small head escarole, thinly sliced (5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium-high. Add sausage, carrots, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up sausage into bite-size pieces, until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add broth, 3 cups water, and lentils. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss escarole with lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Top stew with escarole salad, drizzle with more oil, and serve.