Vegan Apple Oat Crisp
Coconut oil stands in for butter to make a vegan version of a classic, comforting apple crisp laced with cinnamon and tart dried cherries.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, divided
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples (4-5), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Pulse 1 cup oats in a food processor until coarsely ground. Transfer to a bowl and add remaining 1 cup oats, brown sugar, salt, coconut oil and water. Stir until combined.
Toss together all apple filling ingredients in a bowl and transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle with topping. Cover with parchment-lined foil and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until apples are tender and topping is golden brown, about 30 minutes more. Let cool slightly before serving.