Quick Kimchee Coleslaw
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, adapted from Essential Emeril: Favorite Recipes and Hard-Won Wisdom From My Life in the Kitchen, Oxmoor House, 2015, courtesy Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc.
- Yield: Makes 4 cups, enough for 12 tacos
- 1⁄2 small head napa cabbage, cored and shredded
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thin shreds with a vegetable peeler
- 1⁄4 cup chopped kimchee
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Chopped roasted peanuts or cashews, for garnish
Combine all the ingredients except the peanuts in a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. It can be made several days in advance; the cabbage will soften as it sits but the flavor will still be delicious. If you like crunch in your coleslaw, serve it as soon as possible after making it.
Garnish with the roasted peanuts, and serve.