Fresh Corn Mayo
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, adapted from Essential Emeril: Favorite Recipes and Hard-Won Wisdom From My Life in the Kitchen, Oxmoor House, 2015, courtesy Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc.
- Yield: Makes 2 cups
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, cooked
In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and garlic and whisk vigorously to mix. Drizzling it in very, very slowly, add the oil while you whisk vigorously. Continue to add the oil in a very thin, steady stream, whisking continuously, until the mixture thickens and coalesces into an emulsion. If you have an emulsion but still have oil left, continue to add and whisk; the emulsion will get thicker and stiffer as you do.
Once you've got an emulsion and all of the oil has been added, stir in the remaining ingredients. Refrigerate in an airtight container until needed and up to 3 days.