Three-Pepper Corn Casserole
Chipotle chiles and pepper jack cheese bring the perfect note of heat to this creamy casserole. Good quality frozen corn makes a big difference here, as some brands tend to be starchy with little flavor.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Mike Krautter
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish, plus 6 tablespoons melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion (from 1 large onion)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper (from 1 large pepper)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (from 3 cloves)
- 1 chipotle in adobo, minced with liquid (to equal 1 tablespoon)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels, preferably organic, thawed
- 1/4 cup fine cornmeal
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 large eggs
- Salsa, cilantro sprigs and sour cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, until golden brown and caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Add chipotle and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl to cool to room temperature.
Puree 3 cups corn in a food processor or blender until very smooth. Transfer to bowl with onion mixture. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, cornmeal, remaining cup corn, and cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together 6 tablespoons melted butter, cream and eggs just until combined. Fold into corn mixture. Pour batter into prepared dish and bake on a rimmed baking sheet until puffed and golden and the center jiggles slightly, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes. Serve with salsa, cilantro and sour cream.